Sunday, April 11, 2010

Personal project wip 1


For the rest of the illustration 4 semester we are doing personal projects for four weeks. I chose Native American folklore, feeling that it is unpopular enough to not be completely tacky. The three stories I chose were all authentic tales told by the Cherokees in the 18 hundreds, and were recorded by settlers.
The first tale I chose tells of a giant bear who is eating all of the villages food. Four brothers take it upon themselves to kill the bear. After chasing the bear for a very long time they manage to slay the beast and eat it, only to find they had ran so far they were in the night sky. Nowadays the bear is the big dipper. When it is upright the bear is running from the hunters, and when it is upside down he bear has died

This image above is a color study I did for the final painting. I still have to change the size of the hunters and dog, they are a little big for chasing a giant bear

1 comment:

Mariessa said...

WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU HAD A BLOG AND ARE FOLLOWING MY BLOG??

ps I miss you
pps you are getting so great at art good job!!!